Friday, October 1, 2010

FRESH EYES

Hello All!!!

So before you curse me thoroughly out, let me just say...my bad. I've been so focused on job hunting in New York that most of everything else has fallen to the side. But I'm close to getting that coveted position, which will cause some stability to come into my life, so I'll be back on track in no time.

So, I've joined a new critique group, which was hard, hard, hard. After a few meetings, they revealed quite a few problems with the Fated manuscript that I had been working on. Now to tell you the truth I've been worried about this story for a while, and their notes just confirmed some fears I had. The problem I came upon was the fact that I had no interest in messing with the story. I'd look at the pages and my eyes would bleed. My brain felt like it was melting in my head. I stalled for days to even look at the suggestions, much less actually getting any work done. And that's when it came to me: I needed a break from Fated.

Every writer comes to this place in the process. You know the one. Where you cannot and will not look at a story. Where it's obvious that any work you do will probably cause more damage to the story, instead of making it better.

Instead of forcing the writing I decided to go back to my first book...and it was like a breath of fresh air. I'm excited to listen to Morghan again, to hear what she has to say and to polish that story. It's all about fresh eyes, people, and it's important, as writers, to understand when you need to take a break from something and when it's time to go back to it.

Happy Writing!!!

2 comments:

  1. We've all been there, Kena. You'll come back to it, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's taken me months, but I think I'm finally getting my groove back =)!!!

    ReplyDelete