Tuesday, December 18, 2012

IT'S ALL ABOUT COMMITMENT FOLKS

Hey All!!!

A few days ago, someone very dear to me told me that if you want to make a change in your life you have to commit to it and put the actions into motion. He's told me this before, mind you, but I don't think it really took root until that day. When it comes down to it, changing seems so much more complicated than that.

In previous conversations, the entire time, all I kept thinking and saying was, "It's not that simple! This is who I've been my entire life. It's impossible to just up and change my entire being?!! It takes time." But when we talked this week, I realized an important piece of what he was telling me. He wasn't telling me that I HAD to change. That was an important piece I had to catch onto, because without that small piece of intel I was more on the defensive and unable to really hear what he was telling me. What he was saying was that IF - and that's a big IF - I truly wanted to make a change, then I had to buckle down, commit to the work, and just do it!

Now, this conversation had more to do with my own personal crap, but I realized that it's a tid-bit we can all take and put in place for other areas in our lives, especially with writing. Writing is not something you can do as a side, this-is-just-sorta-fun hobby. Well, let me re-phrase that, you can do it as a side hobby, but to be successful, to really obtain the dream of publication and maybe even the illusive writing as a full-time gig, you have to be committed. You have to put in the work.

I often tell people I know that I'm working two jobs - because that's the honest truth. Yes, I'm an HR professional who spends my days helping employees with their benefits and other HR related needs. But I'm also a writer. When I'm not doing HR duties, I'm thinking of writing, I'm reading blogs and posts on it, I'm sending submissions, I'm editing my work, and I'm plotting and writing new material. That's my life folks! And I'm not playing around with it.

I'm committed. And not in the sort of, kind of, I'll get to it when I can sort of way, either. I'm all the way in, and I will make it to the finish line one day!

Oh, and I did decide to be comitted to make the changes to my personal crap as well...if you all were wondering =).

Happy Writing!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! It is a commitment, and it's rough, but you have so many people believing in you, and it's clear you believe in yourself, so I know you'll succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb!!! I don't know how I'd do it without your support, as well as the support of everyone around me =).

      Delete