Tuesday, April 9, 2013

SHOW ME YOU LOVE ME: DETERMINING NEW WAYS TO CONVEY FALLING IN LOVE IN WRITING

Hey All!!!
So, I'm working on edits for the first sixty or so pages of my manuscript and the editor I'm working with gave me a unique challenge. He wanted me to find new, innovative ways to show that my main character, Jazz, is falling in love with her team member Khan.

See, I read a good deal of YA and what I'm used to seeing is a mixture of the below:

  • Heart fluttering
  • Heart pounding
  • Breath catching
  • Tingles running up some body part
And on, and on, and on.

When the editor came at me with this challenge I was a bit at a loss for what to do. I'm so used to seeing the heart fluttering and just understanding what it means. How was I going to break the habit of using these tried and true wordings to convey what I wanted to say?

So, what did I do? I sat down with the BF, my friends, my family and myself, and asked one key question: How did it feel when you were falling in love?

It's simple, but to the point. And so far I've gotten a variety of answers. Everything from, " I knew because I realized that you were a constant thought on my mind," to, "I felt an open pit in the middle of my chest and was always longing for my significant other." And I'm still gathering intel.

And if that wasn't enough - as if the Big-Man-Upstairs heard my question - YA Highway posted this today!

Love is a difficult beast to wrestle in writing, but if done properly I believe it's a universal concept that we all can relate to with a warm and happy familiarity. Why do you think Romance has always been, and will always be, hot!

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment